Saturday, June 21, 2014

A Samantha Walker Card Tutorial!

Happy Saturday all of you Samantha Walker fans!  Today I would like to share with you a fun way to turn Samantha's 'Happy' Words Set shapes into cards.  I am pretty excited about this one because I just figured this out by playing around on my Silhouette Software.


The first thing I did was clicked on my shape so it would open up in my Silhouette Software.  Once again, I chose the 'Happy' Words Set.  If you have a hard time seeing the pictures below, simply click on them to bring up a larger image.



Remove the words you aren't going to use from the cutting mat area.  


Next, you will want to make a rectangle shape as big as the word shape you picked.  Mine has a width of 7.392 inches and a height of 2.686 inches.  To make this rectangle the same size, I simply chose the Rounded Rectangle shape on the bar on the far left hand side of my screen, and made a rectangle using my cursor.


Now, you will want to make your rectangle the same size as your shape.  Remember, my shape is 7.392 x 2.686.  That will be the dimensions of my rectangle.  To do this go to the Scale Window located at the top right of your screen.  Click on it and your options will open up.  First, you will need to click on the Lock Aspect.  By doing this you will be able to change the dimensions.  Then adjust your width and height and press apply.


Now, the two shapes are the same size.


Next, you will want to connect the two.  I simply used my cursor and moved them together, matching up the bottom line of the rectangle shape to the top of the 'Happy' shape.


Now, to create a perforated line to bend the card in half. You will want to erase the line connecting the two shapes.  Do this by selecting the Eraser Tool on the far left hand side column of your screen.  Then go to the far right hand side of your screen and choose the size of your eraser.  I chose the smallest because I will only be erasing one line.  


Holding your cursor down, erase the middle line.


It should end up looking like this when you are done erasing.


Now, you will want to add a new line.  Go to the far left hand side of your screen and select the Draw a Line Button.  Using your cursor, click and hold as you draw a line from one end to the other where the card will be divided.


It should end up looking like this.


To create your perforated line, highlight your line you just drew and go to the bar at the top right corner of your screen.  Click on the Line Style Window.  Select the perforation you would like to use.  


Now you have a perforated line to fold your card in half.


Finally, cut out your card! I made two of them!




Thanks for stopping in and I hope you have been inspired to give this a go!  Here is a link to the shapes I used.  Simply click on the picture below.


Supplies Used:






















No comments: